Saturday, August 14, 2010

Redo of Dining Chairs

I decided to recover the seats of my dining chairs this week. I had recovered them when I bought the set about 6 years ago. At that time I used a set of bandana dish towels. When I bought the chairs they were covered in a horrifying mauve and country blue print.


After six years of food getting spilled on them, they had started to look pretty rough.


So I ordered some oilcloth from an online retailer. Oilcloth is basically vinyl. They have a huge selection of oilcloth, much of which is in awesome retro patterns! I figured the oilcloth would be the best thing to have since you could wipe it off when spills happen.

This was probably the easiest projects I have recovered because the vinyl is so easy to work with. I just removed the seats which are screwed from the bottom.



I didn't even remove the old covering, just went right over the top of it. I did this because I am lazy and I love instant gratification. Plus, I was trying to get them done in between feeding my kid. She likes to eat alot.

I just stapled the vinyl onto the back fo the seat, and tucked the corners.


This is what the finished project looks like. I also used a red, yellow, and turquoise gingham to mix it up. I had six chairs and wished that I would have bought a different color for each. But, as I mentioned, instant gratification is what I strive for.
I already got to spill test it. I doused myself, Mesa, and the chair in a freak ketchup bottle accident. The chair was the easiest thing to clean up. Now, if we could just make clothes for Mesa and I out of oilcloth, we would never need to do laundry again!

3 comments:

Katie Skiff said...

They do not make cute enough oilclothe clothes for her, sorry! Great job Lindsey! These will be nicer now that you have Missy.

Rissa said...

Yeah you need to watch that ketsup.. Looks great!

kdsmith7 said...

Great job Lindsey! I agree with that instant gratification thing - I tend to do things that way too! Kieth and I recoverd kitchen chairs many years ago with a vinyl - the bottoms were fun and pretty easy, but the tapered backs were a little harder! Anyway, great job!!!